Sunday, October 14, 2007

I know I just posted, but here's another.

One of the benefits of training for a marathon (only two weeks to go!) is how much you get to eat. During the last 8 weeks, I've run about 34 miles a week. That's not much when training for a marathon, but given my injury history, I'm so pleased. Not only have I gotten WAY faster (although I am still a tortoise in a world of hares), I also get to eat. All the time. As much as I want. And no, I haven't gained any weight. B's bad eating habits have been rubbing off on me--chocolate, these delicious cream-filled things that one of the half-dozen bakeries within two minutes walk sells--but generally, I've kept it under control.

On Friday, we each did an 8-mile tempo run. Although we were supposed to do a 15-miler today, we had to change it to yesterday as B has a game today. And let me tell you, trying to run 15 miles after doing 8 miles the fastest you've ever gone is no fun at all. So we cut the run "short" at about 12 1/2 miles. We were hurting, and I mean HURTING! Legs, calves, everything--I felt like my lower half was running 7 minute miles while my upper half was running 13 minute miles--no cardiovascular effort, but pain in the lower body! So B just went off to his game. But I, thankfully, have the day off. And I decided that I want sweets!

There's not much in the house so this recipe (without baking powder or sugar, with a bit more honey, and with quantities reduced) with lavender added became the basis for the dessert I just made. SOOOO delicious! Here's the bad part: I just ate the whole thing. If B finds out, he won't be happy! So tomorrow, when the stores open, I'll have to get some more ingredients.

The lavender I got at the local market adds so much to such different recipes! Savory, sweet--a drop of lavender works in many, many contexts.

Now, though, I'm full!

No comments: