Thursday, September 6, 2007

So today I had my first full day of German classes. And, well, this isn't really going to work. The woman organizing my exchange program had promised to put me in a different class and, apparently, promptly forgotten about it. I was placed in the highest of three levels, but unfortunately, that doesn't mean much. Today? We repeated the Plusquamperfektum (we had done), a tense that I learned when I was (I'm not exaggerating) 12 years old. Then we did Futur I and II (will do, will have done)--unfortunately, I seemed to be the only one again who had learned Futur II before. Then we were given a list of irregular verbs to practice. Need I repeat that we were all memorizing those on the train as we commuted to school in junior high, and (even had I wanted) I have never been able to forget them? So it looks like I'll just attend the parts of the class where we might possibly do something I haven't already done a million times, and work on some theological/philosophical writing practice in the afternoons. The other kids (they seem so young!!) who are taking the class are college-age, and not really that focused on learning anyway, so that's even more frustrating to me when I have so much I really need to do and am wasting time in this class.

So I've sent an e-mail to find out if the shower-in-kitchen apartment is still available. I don't know if we could handle that, though. Also, it sounds like there are effectively two bedrooms but no living room--depending on the layout, that might be unpleasant. Another apartment came up today--I'm practically sitting on the phone hoping to hear back from the guy--which would be cheap and well located, but very much still on the small side. Given how difficult it has been living on top of each other even for the few days we've been here, we might not be able to handle a little closet-sized place!

It is cold here. Very cold. I'm trying not to complain after spending a summer being hot! But we've turned the heat on in the apartment! Already! Why did I leave my favorite wool coat in Norway, thinking I wouldn't need it for months? Of course, last week temps were in the high 20s/low 30s C, so maybe this won't last either. On a lighter note, I have a Handy (cellphone) now, and B's old number turns out still to work, so anyone who wants to give us a call and/or donate money to the decent-apartment fund, please get in touch!

No comments: